Victims notification bill approved by House - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Victims notification bill approved by House

Lauren Hannah (Source: KAIT) Lauren Hannah (Source: KAIT)
Rep. Brandt Smith (Source: Arkansas State House) Rep. Brandt Smith (Source: Arkansas State House)
LITTLE ROCK, AR (KAIT) -

A bill that would seek to strengthen the state's crime victim notification system had cleared both the state House and Senate.

The Arkansas Legislature approved HB1045, sponsored by Rep. Brandt Smith, R-Jonesboro. Under the bill, there would be an automatic notification by phone for crime victims. 

According to the bill, a crime victim or their next of kin would be notified of an "inmate's, parolee's or probationer's status, including the location of the inmate, parolee or probationer; and a person's release or modification of a conditional release from the custody of the Arkansas State Hospital, a local or regional hospital, a local or regional mental health facility, or a local or regional jail to which the person has been committed by a court when the person committed a criminal act against the victim but was adjudicated in the criminal case to have a mental disease or defect." 

Smith has worked on the bill for over a year. Under the original bill, a victim must be notified by the "Arkansas State Hospital, a local or regional hospital, local or regional mental health facility, local or regional jail or any other facility" at least 30 days before a release is set to happen. However, the bill was later amended after state officials questioned the cost of implementing the program. 

Smith said he began working on the bill soon after seeing a story on Region 8 News. The story was about Lauren Hannah, a Jonesboro social worker who was stabbed with a butcher knife by a client in May 2014.

Hannah said the attack happened soon after a group therapy session.

“He brought the knife down and the first stab wound was to my knee. It split open to the bone and at that point, that’s when it got real,” Hannah told Region 8 News. “At that point, it was like I’m being attacked. I’m being stabbed!”

Hannah testified before the House committee earlier this year. Smith said he has received positive feedback from other lawmakers since filing the bill. The only negative impact has involved the cost of software upgrades and compliance costs to hospitals and healthcare providers, Smith said. 

The bill now heads to Governor Asa Hutchinson's desk for approval.

Copyright 2017 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Nucor to build new steel mill in central Missouri

    Nucor to build new steel mill in central Missouri

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 8:00 AM EST2017-11-22 13:00:04 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    Steel producer Nucor is building a steel mill in the mid-Missouri city of Sedalia.

    Steel producer Nucor is building a steel mill in the mid-Missouri city of Sedalia.

  • Foundation to adopt a family for Christmas

    Foundation to adopt a family for Christmas

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:40 PM EST2017-11-22 04:40:57 GMT
    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:55 PM EST2017-11-22 04:55:13 GMT
    (Source: Keeunna Watson)(Source: Keeunna Watson)

    A foundation in honor of a Jonesboro who died from epilepsy is finding a way to serve another family in need for Christmas.

    A foundation in honor of a Jonesboro who died from epilepsy is finding a way to serve another family in need for Christmas.

  • Family safely makes it out of house fire in Matthews, MO

    Family safely makes it out of house fire in Matthews, MO

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:47 PM EST2017-11-22 04:47:04 GMT
    source:  Raycom Mediasource: Raycom Media

    According to an official with the Matthews Volunteer Fire Department, a family was inside the home when the fire started in an upstairs bathroom.

    According to an official with the Matthews Volunteer Fire Department, a family was inside the home when the fire started in an upstairs bathroom.

Powered by Frankly