AG: Lost military records can be replaced

AG: Lost military records can be replaced

LITTLE ROCK, AR (KAIT) - Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge said Wednesday that military medical or personnel records can be lost or misplaced, but copies can be obtained by the veteran or the family themselves.

The records must be requested from the National Personnel Records Center by the next of kin if the veteran has passed away. The next of kin can be a surviving spouse who has not remarried, father, son, mother, daughter, sister or brother; and proof of death must be presented.

"There are a number of reasons that a veteran or family member may want military separation documents, service personnel records or medical records," Rutledge said. "These records are used for applying for veteran benefits, retirement preparation, funeral or even researching family military history."

In order to get the records, a form must be completed and sent to the National Archives requesting:

  • Complete name used while in service
  • Service number
  • Social Security number
  • Branch of service
  • Dates of service
  • Date and place of birth

More information about the process can be seen by visiting the Attorney General's website.

Copyright 2017 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android