Auto sales shop fire believed to have started in trash can

PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) - Northeast Greene County Fire District Chief Daniel Patterson told Region 8 News the fire that destroyed Larry's Auto Sales on Highway 49 Saturday has been ruled accidental.

Patterson said they believe it started in a trash can that had cigarette butts in it but they aren't sure how the fire started.

Larry's Auto Sales is expected to reopen soon.

According to Daniel Patterson with the Greene County Northeast Fire District, crews were able to save all the titles, documents, and most of the keys.

He said the owner plans to set up a temporary shop on the used car lot to resume business sometime soon.

According to Patterson, crews battled the fire for several hours.

He said the building is a total loss. Several ATVs inside the building were also destroyed.

An unknown number of vehicles on the lot were also damaged.

Copyright 2017 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android