Harding's Grant Guest Named GAC Player of the Week
Sports - Harding Bison
RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. - The Great American Conference announced the league's Players of the Week recipients for the penultimate week of the baseball season. Harding's Grant Guest garnered the Player honor while Arkansas Tech's Kyle Wilson and Henderson State's Bryant Haralons shared the Pitcher accolade.
GAC BASEBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Grant Guest, Harding, 2B, Jr., Tulsa, Oklahoma Guest carried the Bisons' offense to a 3-1 week as he collected 12 hits in 18 at bats against Ouachita and Arkansas-Monticello. He opened his week by tallying five hits, and reaching base six times in a 10-inning win against Ouachita. He hit .538 as Harding took two-of-three from UAM. He registered a four-hit game in the middle game of the series. He drove in five runs for the week.
GAC BASEBALL PITCHER OF THE WEEK - Kyle Wilson, Arkansas Tech, RHP, Jr., Flagstaff, Arizona
Wilson improved to 7-0 as he stymied the offense of No. 2 Southern Arkansas. He allowed only four singles in his 7.0 innings of work. He struck out four in helping the Wonder Boys claim a 4-0 win in the series opener. Only seven pitchers in Division II have more wins without a loss than Wilson. He lowered his opponents' batting average to .200, the second-best mark in the GAC.
GAC BASEBALL CO-PITCHER OF THE WEEK - Bryant Haralson, Henderson State, RHP, Jr., Atkins, Arkansas
Haralson lowered his ERA back under 2.00 after he tossed 7.0 scoreless innings in a 5-0 win against Northwestern Oklahoma State on Saturday. He struck out a career-high 12 batters to raise his total to 85, the second-best season total in Reddie history. He registered his fifth shutout and improved his strikeout-walk ratio to 9.44-1.
- Hunter Heath, Sr., OF/DH, Oklahoma Baptist (Hit .583 with a triple in a sweep of Southeastern Oklahoma State)
- Cortland McPherson, Jr., DH/INF, Southern Arkansas (Posted a .462 averaged with a home run a triple and a double)
- Mark Vaughn, Jr., LF, Arkansas Tech (Went 4-for-14 with a home run in four games against Southern Arkansas)
- Sean Wagner, Jr., 1B, Arkansas-Monticello (Drove in eight runs and hit his third home run of the season)
- Anthony Wiggins, Sr., OF/1B, Southern Nazarene (Led Crimson Storm to a series win vs ECU by hitting .444 with five RBI)
NOTABLE PITCHER NOMINEES
- Zach Birkle, Fr., RHP, Southern Nazarene (In three relief stints, allowed just one unearned run in 7.1 IP and earned two wins)
- Kris Brown, Sr., RHP, Arkansas-Monticello (Earned a win at Harding after allowing one earned run in 6.0 IP)
- Mason Faulkner, Jr., RHP, Harding (Picked up a win and a save; allowed only three hits in 6.1 scoreless innings)
- Zach Fowler, Jr., RHP, Oklahoma Baptist (Struck out six in 6.2 innings in a victory against Southeastern Oklahoma State)
- Eric Schildt, Sr., RHP, Southern Arkansas (Made three relief appearances and allowed only one run)
- Jeremy Smith, Sr., RHP, Southwestern Oklahoma State (Struck out a career-high 14 batters in 8.0 innings of work)