Tree smashes through roof, lands where family was sleeping - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Tree smashes through roof, lands where family was sleeping

(SOURCE: WMC Action News 5) (SOURCE: WMC Action News 5)
(SOURCE: WMC Action News 5) (SOURCE: WMC Action News 5)
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

Much of the power has been restored to residents after last week's storm, but some are thankful they're even alive.

"I was just crawling around on the floor. I knew my son was in the bedroom," storm victim Emma Satcher said.

Satcher knew it could be bad. She and her boyfriend were in the bedroom where a tree landed after crashing through their home.

"It just knocked me on the floor," she said.

It broke her boyfriend Jeffrey Jackson's collarbone.

"Knocked me out. She woke me up, and all I felt was rain water coming through the house," Jackson said.

Satcher was determined to get to her son in the next bedroom with his girlfriend.

"I said God I said I got to get in here with my son. I said, Lord I can't open the door," she said. "I said please let me open the door."

Then, he came out of the bedroom.

"He said 'Momma, I'm alright,'" Satcher said.

Her son only had a couple scratches on his forehead after the huge tree smashed the bed he was sleeping in.

He said he still doesn't know how he managed to get out. All he remembers is his girlfriend, who was not hurt, screaming.

In the light of day, reality set in for the family.

The family was renting the home when the damage happened. Now, they're moving out their furniture that was salvageable.

The don't have renters insurance so they lost a lot. But, they know what is important - being alive.

The family is living with a friend now and Holmes said in the future he plans to live in places that are not near any trees.

Copyright 2017 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Rural Resurgence: Keeping small towns alive

Monday, February 19 2018 11:11 AM EST2018-02-19 16:11:53 GMT
    Monday, February 19 2018 5:42 PM EST2018-02-19 22:42:57 GMT
    Wilson square (Source: KAIT)Wilson square (Source: KAIT)

It's no secret rural Arkansas is struggling. From schools closing to infrastructure to population, many towns can’t stay afloat.

FBI, CART continue search for missing autistic teenager

Saturday, February 17 2018 12:46 PM EST2018-02-17 17:46:31 GMT
    Monday, February 19 2018 10:44 PM EST2018-02-20 03:44:01 GMT
    Ashton Talley (Source: Mississippi County Sheriff's Department Facebook page)Ashton Talley (Source: Mississippi County Sheriff's Department Facebook page)

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and other agencies are in Mississippi County helping to search for a missing 18-year-old special needs autistic student as law enforcement continues to follow up leads on the whereabouts of the student.

Fire causing downtown Osceola to suffer

Monday, February 19 2018 10:18 PM EST2018-02-20 03:18:59 GMT
    Monday, February 19 2018 10:41 PM EST2018-02-20 03:41:40 GMT

After two buildings caught fire, the face of downtown Osceola has suffered.

After two buildings caught fire, the face of downtown Osceola has suffered.