Tree smashes through roof, lands where family was sleeping - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Tree smashes through roof, lands where family was sleeping

(SOURCE: WMC Action News 5) (SOURCE: WMC Action News 5)
(SOURCE: WMC Action News 5) (SOURCE: WMC Action News 5)
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

Much of the power has been restored to residents after last week's storm, but some are thankful they're even alive.

"I was just crawling around on the floor. I knew my son was in the bedroom," storm victim Emma Satcher said.

Satcher knew it could be bad. She and her boyfriend were in the bedroom where a tree landed after crashing through their home.

"It just knocked me on the floor," she said.

It broke her boyfriend Jeffrey Jackson's collarbone.

"Knocked me out. She woke me up, and all I felt was rain water coming through the house," Jackson said.

Satcher was determined to get to her son in the next bedroom with his girlfriend.

"I said God I said I got to get in here with my son. I said, Lord I can't open the door," she said. "I said please let me open the door."

Then, he came out of the bedroom.

"He said 'Momma, I'm alright,'" Satcher said.

Her son only had a couple scratches on his forehead after the huge tree smashed the bed he was sleeping in.

He said he still doesn't know how he managed to get out. All he remembers is his girlfriend, who was not hurt, screaming.

In the light of day, reality set in for the family.

The family was renting the home when the damage happened. Now, they're moving out their furniture that was salvageable.

The don't have renters insurance so they lost a lot. But, they know what is important - being alive.

The family is living with a friend now and Holmes said in the future he plans to live in places that are not near any trees.

Copyright 2017 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Qulin cooling center not so cool

Thursday, July 20 2017 10:18 PM EDT2017-07-21 02:18:30 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 10:33 PM EDT2017-07-21 02:33:41 GMT

Due to extreme heat, cooling centers were opened in Butler County Thursday.

Due to extreme heat, cooling centers were opened in Butler County Thursday.

War Memorial Stadium has strong future, official says

Thursday, July 20 2017 10:03 PM EDT2017-07-21 02:03:13 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 10:20 PM EDT2017-07-21 02:20:32 GMT
    War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock (Source: Talk Business & Politics)War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock (Source: Talk Business & Politics)

There may be some question as to whether the Arkansas Razorbacks will play football games at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock past 2018, but a state tourism official believes the nearly 70-year-old structure has a sustainable future.

City looking at expanding boundaries while school sees growth

Thursday, July 20 2017 9:42 PM EDT2017-07-21 01:42:58 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 10:02 PM EDT2017-07-21 02:02:08 GMT

With the growth of population, the city of Brookland is looking at expanding their city limits and upgrading areas at the high school.