Trumann man celebrates 100th birthday - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Trumann man celebrates 100th birthday

Jules Martin celebrated his 100th birthday Sunday in Trumann. (Source: KAIT) Jules Martin celebrated his 100th birthday Sunday in Trumann. (Source: KAIT)
Over 100 people were in Trumann Sunday to celebrate the 100th birthday of Jules Martin. (Source: KAIT) Over 100 people were in Trumann Sunday to celebrate the 100th birthday of Jules Martin. (Source: KAIT)
TRUMANN, AR (KAIT) -

Jules Martin said Sunday that the secret to a full, happy life is being young at heart and enjoying music.

Martin, who celebrated his 100th birthday, was honored by the Trumann First Baptist Church and residents with a party in his honor. The opportunity to turn 100 was not really on his mind Sunday.

"I know it's maybe a little rare for people to live to be 100, but it didn't occur to me that it means anything. Birthdays never meant much to me, it's another day," Martin said of the celebration.

More than 100 people gathered at the church Sunday to honor Martin. He has played the organ at the church for over 50 years and began piano lessons when he was 12.

"I had lessons at the First Methodist Church as pipe organ....which was thrilling for me to play," Martin said.

Any advice for a productive, good life?

"We'll I don't drink, I don't smoke, I've lived a clean life," Martin said. "I treat people like I would like to be treated, I don't have any enemies that I know of, I try not to be mean to anybody."

Copyright 2017 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

Experts: more kids drown in open bodies of water

Tuesday, May 22 2018 11:03 PM EDT2018-05-23 03:03:44 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 11:37 PM EDT2018-05-23 03:37:22 GMT
    (Source: AP Graphics Bank)(Source: AP Graphics Bank)
    (Source: AP Graphics Bank)(Source: AP Graphics Bank)

More kids drown in open bodies of water than swimming pools, according to experts.

• breaking

Day wins Craighead County Judge race

Day wins Craighead County Judge race

Tuesday, May 22 2018 10:27 PM EDT2018-05-23 02:27:46 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 11:18 PM EDT2018-05-23 03:18:18 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

Republican Marvin Day of Jonesboro has won the Craighead County Judge's race against opponent Jeff Presley.

Arkansas Primary Voter Guide

Sunday, May 6 2018 3:02 PM EDT2018-05-06 19:02:56 GMT
    Tuesday, May 22 2018 10:17 PM EDT2018-05-23 02:17:41 GMT

Voters will head to the polls May 22 to decide a variety of federal, state and local races, not to mention a pair of sales tax proposals.