Proof You Really Can Find Love Online! - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Paragould, AR -- Lauren Payne Reports

Proof You Really Can Find Love Online!

July 28 2005 -- Posted at 3:00 p.m. CST

Paragould, Ar -- "I was skeptical, I thought there was a stigma with Internet dating. I didn't know if I wanted to go that route," said Mariola Yates.

Mariola suppressed her family's concerns and her own skepticism and took a leap of faith on a fateful winter day in January of 2004.

"I saw his face and I said yeah, I could date that face," said Yates.

What she found when she landed, was a man who swept her off her feet.

"I think he asked me out for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, something like that," said Mariola Yates.

Mariola and Ray Yates have both been married before, but they said they would have never imagined themselves turning to the Internet to find love again.

"I said maybe there is a woman out there I want to spend the rest of my life with, but I didn't have high hopes for it," said Ray Yates.

Cupid.com made believers out of this Paragould couple.

After 10 months of dating, Ray popped the question to Mariola and their back yard set the scene for a wedding they say friends and family won't soon forget.

"It was probably the neighborhood event of the year," said Ray Yates.

As their first year anniversary approaches, they are getting used to telling people how they met.

To those who don't believe they could find love online, the Yates have a piece of advice.

"Try it, you never know, yeah, try it," said Ray and Mariola Yates.

JFD: A-State apartment fire intentionally set

Monday, March 27 2017 4:20 PM EDT2017-03-27 20:20:39 GMT
    Monday, March 27 2017 4:31 PM EDT2017-03-27 20:31:27 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

A fire that destroyed an Arkansas State University apartment was intentionally set, the fire marshall said.

• breaking

UPDATE: Woman killed in Monday morning shooting

UPDATE: Woman killed in Monday morning shooting

Monday, March 27 2017 2:12 AM EDT2017-03-27 06:12:54 GMT
    Monday, March 27 2017 3:59 PM EDT2017-03-27 19:59:55 GMT
    Officers respond to scene of shooting (Source: KAIT)Officers respond to scene of shooting (Source: KAIT)

A woman shot early Monday morning in North Jonesboro has died.

A woman shot early Monday morning in North Jonesboro has died.

NWS: EF0 tornado caused damage in Marmaduke

Monday, March 27 2017 1:34 PM EDT2017-03-27 17:34:19 GMT
    Monday, March 27 2017 3:21 PM EDT2017-03-27 19:21:56 GMT

The National Weather Service confirmed a tornado moved through Greene County early Saturday morning.