August 1, 2005-- Posted at 3:25 PM CDT
(HealthDayNews) -- Sitting in front of a computer for a prolonged period can take its toll on your body.
Protect yourself against common computer-related aches and pains with these tips from the American Physical Therapy Association:
- Get up every half hour and do some gentle stretches.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor or consider using a foot rest.
- Don't let your hands hover over the keyboard. This creates excess tension in your hands and arms.
- Watch for lighting glare. Use the 20-20-20 rule: blink 20 times, and stare 20 feet away from the screen every 20 minutes.
- Avoid movements that put your neck in an awkward position.
-- Felicity Stone
Copyright © 2005 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.