JPD to add two new officers to staff - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

JPD to add two new officers to staff

(Source: KAIT) (Source: KAIT)
(Source: KAIT) (Source: KAIT)
(Source: KAIT) (Source: KAIT)
JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -

The Jonesboro Police Department announced Monday they plan to hire two new officers to their staff in 2018.

It all comes thanks to a grant funded by The Federal Cops for Hire Program.

According to Police Chief Rick Elliott, the grant will pay 75% of the officer's salaries over a three-year period, with the other 25% coming from the city.

Elliott said with Jonesboro continuing to grow at a rapid rate, it's important his department follows suit.

"The way Jonesboro's growing, we're going to have to grow also to keep up with things that are going on," Elliott said. "So, this is a way to add additional staffing and not cost, have, put that cost onto the taxpayers."

Elliott said with the hiring of the new officers, the Jonesboro Police Department will have 163 new officers in total.

With property crimes on the rise, the added officers are expected to help the department focus on combating these crimes.

Elliott said he hopes to have the two officers hired by summer 2018.

Copyright 2017 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Solar farm will lead to lower power bills, supporters say

    Solar farm will lead to lower power bills, supporters say

    Thursday, August 16 2018 10:09 PM EDT2018-08-17 02:09:47 GMT
    Thursday, August 16 2018 10:29 PM EDT2018-08-17 02:29:32 GMT
    Craighead Electric partnered with Today's Power to build solar farm. (Source: KAIT-TV)Craighead Electric partnered with Today's Power to build solar farm. (Source: KAIT-TV)
    Craighead Electric partnered with Today's Power to build solar farm. (Source: KAIT-TV)Craighead Electric partnered with Today's Power to build solar farm. (Source: KAIT-TV)

    Craighead Electric Cooperative Corporation partnered with Today's Power to build a 1-megawatt solar array.

    Craighead Electric Cooperative Corporation partnered with Today's Power to build a 1-megawatt solar array.

  • Report: Nearly 13,000 residents not meeting Medicaid work requirements

    Report: Nearly 13,000 residents not meeting Medicaid work requirements

    Thursday, August 16 2018 7:02 PM EDT2018-08-16 23:02:33 GMT
    Thursday, August 16 2018 9:07 PM EDT2018-08-17 01:07:33 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    The number of people who have not met work requirements under the state's Medicaid law nearly doubled from the same time in June, with officials telling a Little Rock television station that the goal is to continue building on the requirement. 

    The number of people who have not met work requirements under the state's Medicaid law nearly doubled from the same time in June, with officials telling a Little Rock television station that the goal is to continue building on the requirement. 

  • A-State offers parking app for students

    A-State offers parking app for students

    Thursday, August 16 2018 8:40 PM EDT2018-08-17 00:40:30 GMT
    Thursday, August 16 2018 9:05 PM EDT2018-08-17 01:05:21 GMT
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)

    Parking Services at Arkansas State University are offering students a parking mobile app to pay to park.

    Parking Services at Arkansas State University are offering students a parking mobile app to pay to park.

Powered by Frankly