August 10, 2005-- Posted at 2:45 PM CDT
(HealthDayNews) -- Ugly, discolored toe nails may be a sign of a fungal infection. Besides being embarrassing, untreated fungal infections can spread.
Guard yourself against toenail fungus with these tips from the American Podiatric Medical Association:
- Wash your feet regularly with soap and water.
- Dry them thoroughly.
- Make sure your shoes fit properly.
- Wear shower shoes in public areas.
- Change socks, hosiery, even shoes, daily.
- Clip toenails straight across so the nail doesn't extend past the tip of the toe.
- Use a recommended foot powder talcum, not starch.
- Wear socks made of synthetic fiber.