August 10, 2005-- Posted at 3:00 PM CDT
(HealthDayNews) -- The temptation to start smoking cigarettes can be strongest during adolescence. So if you have pre-teens at home, now's the time to steer them away from lighting up.
Here are some suggestions from St. Louis Children's Hospital:
- Be a role model by not smoking.
- If you do smoke, discuss your struggle to quit with your kids.
- Make sure your kids know where you stand on smoking and give reasons for your opinions.
- Remind them of the costs.
- Many kids smoke to relieve stress or to help deal with awkward situations. Teach them other ways to handle pressure.
Copyright © 2005 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.