Family of 3-year-old boy killed in Dorchester Co. hit-and-run wa - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Family of 3-year-old boy killed in Dorchester Co. hit-and-run wants answers

Troopers are investigating a deadly hit and run in Dorchester Co. (Source: AP) Troopers are investigating a deadly hit and run in Dorchester Co. (Source: AP)
DORCHESTER COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -

The mother of a 3-year-old boy who died after being struck by a vehicle late Monday night says she doesn't hold a grudge against the driver but wants to know what happened.

Jayden Thiel was struck while he was in the roadway on U.S. Highway 78 in the area of Reevesville near St. George at approximately 11:30 p.m., Dorchester County Coroner Paul Brouthers said. The child was pronounced dead at the scene, he said.

South Carolina Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. David Jones said an unknown vehicle was traveling on Highway 78 near Meadows Run when it struck the child. The boy was alone at the time of the crash, Sgt. Bob Beres said.

The vehicle then left the scene, Jones said.

Michelle Hayden, who lives near the scene, says when she saw what happened, she just wanted to be there for the parent.

"When I did walk out here,  I just heard the momma crying, 'He's dead, he's dead. He's my baby, he's dead.' And my heart just broke for this lady," Hayden said. "I wanted to go up to her and wrap my arms around her."

The SCHP Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Team and the Dorchester County Coroner's Office is investigating.

"Somebody needs to pay for this," Hayden said. "This is an innocent 3-year-old baby. And this family, my heart goes out to this family. "

Anyone with information on the incident should call the South Carolina Highway Patrol at 843-953-6010 or 1-800-768-1506; or Crime Stoppers at 888-CRIME-SC.

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.

• breaking

JPD investigating shooting in Caraway Road area

JPD investigating shooting in Caraway Road area

Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:39 PM EDT2018-05-24 03:39:17 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:43 PM EDT2018-05-24 03:43:53 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

According to the Jonesboro Police Department Desk Sergeant, authorities are investigating a shooting Wednesday night.

Truck driver tells story of I-40 police chase

Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:05 PM EDT2018-05-24 03:05:25 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:37 PM EDT2018-05-24 03:37:40 GMT
    Arkansas State Police are investigating a police chase this week on I-40 near West Memphis where a man died. (Source: WREG-TV)Arkansas State Police are investigating a police chase this week on I-40 near West Memphis where a man died. (Source: WREG-TV)

The scene during a police chase earlier this week on I-40 in Crittenden County near West Memphis was something like a Hollywood movie, a truck driver who saw the situation happen said Tuesday.

Man arrested in aggravated assault case

Wednesday, May 23 2018 10:38 PM EDT2018-05-24 02:38:27 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:03 PM EDT2018-05-24 03:03:36 GMT
    Cordero L. Riley (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office website)Cordero L. Riley (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office website)

A St. Francis County man is scheduled to appear in a Jonesboro courthouse in June after he was arrested on suspicion of throwing bricks at a woman earlier this year, Jonesboro police said Wednesday.