August 24, 2005-- Posted at 2:45 PM CDT
(HealthDayNews) -- Slippery tubs and water-splashed bathroom floors are common reasons for senior spills.
The Canadian city of Ottawa suggests you take these steps to skid-proof your bathroom:
- Make sure the bathtub plug is easy to reach and to use.
- Use a rubber mat every time you take a bath or shower.
- Make sure anti-slip decals on the bottom of the bathtub are no more than two inches apart.
- Install at least two grab bars in the tub area.
- Check that portable grab bars don't move when used for climbing out of the tub.
- Use a rug with a rubber backing outside the tub.
-- Felicity Stone
Copyright © 2005 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.