Deputy finds DWI suspect in vehicle near railroad tracks

Deputy finds DWI suspect in vehicle near railroad tracks
Cherri B. Jones-Goodall (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Sheriff's deputies arrested a Jonesboro woman Sunday after they reported finding her unresponsive in the driver's seat of a car, next to the train tracks.

Craighead County Deputy Dustin Norwood made the discovery Sunday morning around 4:45 a.m.

Norwood stated in the incident report that he was driving south on Willett Road and saw a red Dodge Charger sitting stationary on the same road facing south. It was about three to four feet away from the railroad tracks.

The deputy found Cherri Jones-Goodall, 36, of Jonesboro, slumped over the driver's seat with only her seatbelt holding her up. The car was running, in drive, and Jones-Goodall's foot was on the brake.

When attempts to wake the woman were unsuccessful, Norwood opened the unlocked driver's door and "immediately noticed the strong odor of intoxicants coming from the vehicle."

Norwood put the car in park, shut it off, and removed the keys.

While trying to speak with Jones-Goodall, the deputy noticed a train coming down the tracks and immediately ordered the woman to leave the car should the train hit it. Norwood reported the woman was very lethargic, her eyes were bloodshot and watery, in addition to slurred speech and being unsteady on her feet.

The two moved to a safe distance away from the tracks and the train moved by without incident.

Jones-Goodall told the deputy she had had alcohol earlier in the evening. A preliminary breath test showed the presence of intoxicants on her breath, according to Norwood. The woman was advised that she was being arrested for DWI.

As she was being transported from the scene, the deputy stated Jones-Goodall became "aggressive and disorderly" and another deputy was called to help put her into the patrol unit.

The woman also began to kick the rear door glass of the patrol unit. After several warnings to stop, Jones-Goodall was placed in leg restraints.

Once at the Craighead County Detention Center, Jones-Goodall continued to be "verbally abusive and disorderly."

While still in leg restraints, the woman went through the door of the detention center and was asked to stop several times so the deputy could secure the door. When Jones-Goodall did not stop, the restraints tightened and she fell, striking her face. Norwood notified jail and medical staff immediately and once cleared, the woman was moved to another room for testing.

Jones-Goodall ultimately refused to take a breath test. She was given a temporary license, which she refused to sign.

She was issued a citation for DWI, refusal to submit to a chemical test, careless/prohibited driving, and no proof of insurance.

Jones-Goodall is expected to be in court Tuesday. Online jail records indicate she was released on Sunday afternoon.

Copyright 2018 KAIT. All rights reserved.