Not a rumor: Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac part ways - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Not a rumor: Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac part ways

(Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File). FILe - In this Jan. 26, 2018 file photo, Fleetwood Mac band members, from left, Stevie Nicks, John McVie, Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood appear at the 2018 MusiCares Person of the Year... (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File). FILe - In this Jan. 26, 2018 file photo, Fleetwood Mac band members, from left, Stevie Nicks, John McVie, Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood appear at the 2018 MusiCares Person of the Year...
(Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, FIle). FILE - In this Oct. 6, 2014 file photo, Lindsey Buckingham from the band Fleetwood Mac performs at Madison Square Garden in New York. The band said in a statement Monday that Buckingham is out of the band for... (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, FIle). FILE - In this Oct. 6, 2014 file photo, Lindsey Buckingham from the band Fleetwood Mac performs at Madison Square Garden in New York. The band said in a statement Monday that Buckingham is out of the band for...

By ANDREW DALTON
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Lindsey Buckingham will have to go his own way. The singer-guitarist is out of Fleetwood Mac.

The band said in a statement Monday that Buckingham will not be on their new tour. The announcement came in two terse sentences at the bottom of a long news release announcing the new concerts.

"Lindsey Buckingham will not be performing with the band on this tour," the statement said. "The band wishes Lindsey all the best."

He'll be jointly replaced by Neil Finn of Crowded House and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers.

Buckingham joined the band with then-girlfriend Stevie Nicks in 1974 and the two became the central faces, voices and songwriters of the group for the four decades that followed.

Buckingham sang and either wrote or co-wrote hits like "Go Your Own Way," ''Tusk," and "The Chain."

Buckingham left the band once before in 1987, returning for a tour in 1996 and remaining a steady member since.

No details were given on what led to the latest split. Buckingham's agent referred requests for comment back to a publicist for Fleetwood Mac, who said it wasn't yet clear how to reach Buckingham for a reaction.

The 68-year-old released an album and played a series of dates with the band's Christine McVie last year.

Fleetwood Mac used most of the news release announcing the departure to tout its two new members.

"We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realize that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style," Mick Fleetwood, the drummer who co-founded the band in 1967, said in the statement. "We know we have something new, yet it's got the unmistakable Mac sound."

Finn said the group contacted him only very recently, and he was stunned to suddenly find himself a member.

"Two weeks ago I received a wonderful invitation to be a part of a truly great band," Finn said in a statement. "A few days later I was standing in a room playing music with Fleetwood Mac. It felt fresh and exciting, so many great songs, a spectacular rhythm section and two of the greatest voices ever. Best of all, we sounded good together. It was a natural fit. I can't wait to play."

The two voices Finn refers to are those of Nicks and McVie, who will be on the tour along with fellow longtime members Fleetwood and John McVie.

For Campbell, the new venture will be his first return to touring since the death in October of Petty, his musical partner of 42 years. Campbell was a founding member of the Heartbreakers in 1975, and played with them until just days before Petty died. The pair already had ties to Fleetwood Mac. They wrote and played on Nicks' 1981 hit "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around."

___

Follow Andrew Dalton on Twitter at https://twitter.com/andyjamesdalton .

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • National SportsMore>>

  • Funeral held for pro wrestling great Bruno Sammartino

    Funeral held for pro wrestling great Bruno Sammartino

    Monday, April 23 2018 9:06 PM EDT2018-04-24 01:06:00 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 9:16 PM EDT2018-04-24 01:16:38 GMT
    (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic). Pallbearers carry the casket of former professional wrestler Bruno Sammartino Monday, April 23, 2018, in Ross Township, Pa., a suburb just north of Pittsburgh.(AP Photo/Keith Srakocic). Pallbearers carry the casket of former professional wrestler Bruno Sammartino Monday, April 23, 2018, in Ross Township, Pa., a suburb just north of Pittsburgh.
    Former professional wrestling champion Bruno Sammartino has been laid to rest in Pennsylvania, where he was remembered as one of the sport's good guys.
    Former professional wrestling champion Bruno Sammartino has been laid to rest in Pennsylvania, where he was remembered as one of the sport's good guys.
  • Stephen Curry signs broad production deal with Sony Pictures

    Stephen Curry signs broad production deal with Sony Pictures

    Monday, April 23 2018 4:26 PM EDT2018-04-23 20:26:15 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 9:16 PM EDT2018-04-24 01:16:23 GMT
    (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu, File). FILE - This March 6, 2018 file photo shows Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry during an NBA basketball game against the Brooklyn Nets in Oakland, Calif.  Sony Pictures Entertainment announced Monday, April 23, that it...(AP Photo/Jeff Chiu, File). FILE - This March 6, 2018 file photo shows Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry during an NBA basketball game against the Brooklyn Nets in Oakland, Calif. Sony Pictures Entertainment announced Monday, April 23, that it...
    NBA star Stephen Curry is heading to Hollywood in a big way after inking broad production deal with Sony Pictures Entertainment.
    NBA star Stephen Curry is heading to Hollywood in a big way after inking broad production deal with Sony Pictures Entertainment.
  • FIFA subjects 2026 Morocco World Cup bid to fresh scrutiny

    FIFA subjects 2026 Morocco World Cup bid to fresh scrutiny

    Monday, April 23 2018 1:49 PM EDT2018-04-23 17:49:13 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 9:15 PM EDT2018-04-24 01:15:52 GMT
    (AP Photo/Abdeljalil Bounhar). Head of Morocco's Bid Committee Moulay Hafid Elalamy speaks during a press conference to promote Morocco's bid for the 2026 soccer World Cup after the visit of the Task Force in Casablanca, Morocco, Friday April 20, 2018.(AP Photo/Abdeljalil Bounhar). Head of Morocco's Bid Committee Moulay Hafid Elalamy speaks during a press conference to promote Morocco's bid for the 2026 soccer World Cup after the visit of the Task Force in Casablanca, Morocco, Friday April 20, 2018.
    Morocco's 2026 World Cup bid is facing fresh scrutiny this week with the arrival of a fresh delegation from FIFA after an initial task force found deficiencies in the proposals.
    Morocco's 2026 World Cup bid is facing fresh scrutiny this week with the arrival of a fresh delegation from FIFA after an initial task force found deficiencies in the proposals.
Powered by Frankly