CRAIGHEAD COUNTY, AR (KAIT) - Craighead County Sheriff Marty Boyd says some shysters are taking a new run at an old scam.
Recently, a woman reported she received a phone call from a man who identified himself as "Deputy Aaron Davis with the Craighead County Sheriff's Department Warrant Apprehension Division."
The man claimed the victim had two outstanding warrants for her arrest.
The man, according to a news release, told the victim she could avoid going to court by paying them off by going to Walmart and purchasing two Visa gift cards totaling more than $900.
The suspect then told her to take the cards to the sheriff's office and "put them on the kiosk."
According to an incident report, the suspect's phone number was 870-899-7364.
"The number they leave on the voicemail has its own voicemail, and it is set up a lot like our recording," said Sheriff Boyd. "That's where the similarities between these shysters and the sheriff's office end."
He also listed the following:
- There is no Warrant Apprehension Division.
- We will not call you to notify you of an outstanding warrant.
- We will not ask for you to go to Walmart (or Walgreens, CVS, Dollar General, or Kroger, etc.) to purchase gift cards of any kind to pay your fees and fines.
- Always check the White Pages or the Craighead County Sheriff’s Office website for the correct phone number to call to speak to one of our deputies if you even suspect a call may be fraudulent.
- Inform your aging friends and family of these scams to help protect them. They are most likely to fall prey to confidence scams because they were raised not to question authority.
The sheriff concluded by saying anyone with questions or concerns about a phone call they've received should not hesitate to call his office at 870-933-4551 or message them on Facebook.