Volunteer Fire Chief Fired in Jericho

December 23, 2005 - 3:36 p.m. CST

JERICHO - The local volunteer fire department is being blamed for failing to respond to a fire earlier this week that claimed the life of a disabled local resident.

Robert Simmons was trapped in his burning home and was asphyxiated. Simmons was disabled and confined to a wheelchair.

The Jericho Volunteer Fire Department failed to respond as dispatchers apparently could not contact any member.  Firefighters, on the other hand, claimed they never got the calls.

On Thursday, volunteer Fire Chief John Hamlin was fired by the Police Chief.