Governor Orders Extension of State's Medicare Assistance in Wake of Plan D Mess - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Little Rock, AR

Governor Orders Extension of State's Medicare Assistance in Wake of Plan D Mess

JANUARY 20, 2006 - Posted at 3:58 p.m. CST

 

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Governor Huckabee announced today that he is extending state aid until the end of the month for people who are having trouble filling their prescriptions through the new Medicare drug benefit.

Huckabee's original order, put in place last week, had said the state would help pay for drugs through January 15.

Huckabee has said the step is necessary to make sure that people aren't wrongfully rejected because of problems in implementing the program, which started January 1.

The emergency program reimburses pharmacies so that they can provide drugs under the new Medicare benefit to people who otherwise would be rejected as ineligible because of technical problems.

State health officials said this week that they had received 21,000 claims for prescriptions since the state announced it would provide short-term relief.  The claims, which cover roughly 7,000 people, would cost the state more than $1.5 million.

State officials have said the state will seek reimbursement from the federal government for its costs.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly