JANUARY 26, 2006 - Posted at 8:15 a.m. CST
WEST MEMPHIS, AR - West Memphis police say four children were hospitalized after a five-year-old boy handed out prescription anti-depressant pills.
Police were summoned Wednesday morning to Avondale Elementary School after three of the children ingested the pills. A fourth spit the pill out. All the children were taken to hospitals but officials say none suffered life-threatening ailments.
The pill bottle indicated the medicine had expired in 2002. The pills were used to treat schizophrenia.
West Memphis police and the state Department of Health and Human Services are investigating, but officials say they do not expect charges to be filed.
West Memphis police inspector Billy Sanders says families need to ensure that medicines are kept out of the hands of children. Older medicines that are expired should be disposed of.