Fire Shuts Down Gee Street

January 31, 2006 – Posted at 10:32 p.m. CST

JONESBORO, AR -- A fire destroys a Region 8 business and shuts down traffic on a busy city street Tuesday night. The call came in to the Jonesboro Fire Department at 6:21 when a commercial alarm sounded at the Maintained aster on Gee Street in west-end Jonesboro.

The 800 block of Gee was closed for about three hours while firefighters tried to control the burn. Traffic was re-routed around the area. Officials say the fire was started by a cutting torch used at Maintenance Master. No one was in the building at the time of the fire, but because of the chemicals that were inside, firefighters had to use extra caution when battling this blaze, using a type of foam blanket to put out the fire.

Maintenance Master is just across the street from Sonic which did close for a while...however no one in the neighborhood was evacuated.

"There's a lot of different chemicals, a lot of different plastics, a lot of different polymers, a lot of oils, resins, so we are having to check each one as we go," said Division Chief Kevin Miller, "Everything is going smoothly at this time, we have the fire in check, but there is a lot of hot spots throughout the building...we're going to be here for a while trying to get to them. This type of building with the flat roof, commercial style they are very's going to be a lot of tedious work to pull it out."

No injuries were reported. The owner says most of the damage is to the roof and that given the chemicals that were inside, the situation could have been a lot worse.