FEBRUARY 22, 2006 - Posted at 7:55 a.m. CST
LITTLE ROCK, AR - State health officials say they're still awaiting word on whether Arkansas will be reimbursed for its drug assistance beyond February 27. Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman Julie Munsell said the state learned yesterday that the federal government had extended its waiver to cover reimbursements until the 27th, next Monday. The state, however, has said its assistance will extend through March 17.
Health and Human Services officials announced last week that the state would continue filling prescriptions rejected because of problems with the new Medicare drug program, which began January 1.
Munsell said the state had paid nearly $5.2 million to fill prescriptions for more than 21,000 people.
She said a slowdown of claims over the past week is a hopeful sign for state health officials.