February 25, 2006 - Posted at 1:05 p.m. CST
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) _ A student and her roommate at the
University of Texas are being treated for potential exposure to
One of the girls found a substance that's tested positive for
the potentially deadly poison in a roll of quarters she was using
to do her laundry at her dorm. Officials said the quarters had been
in the students' dorm room for several months.
She told university police that she found the chunky powder on
Thursday, and preliminary tests for ricin returned positive
A doctor at the university says neither person being treated has
shown symptoms, which can include anything from difficulty
breathing, fever, cough, nausea and sweating to severe vomiting and
The university says the dorm has been sanitized and inspected.