Toxic Mold: Still No Answers For Another Region 8 Family - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Marsha Mays Reports

Toxic Mold: Still No Answers For Another Region 8 Family

MARCH 14, 2006 -- POSTED AT 9:00 P.M. CST

JONESBORO, AR -- A Region 8 family was kicked out of their home 5 months ago by a silent, but deadly invader. Toxic mold is to blame for the $45,000 of damage to the Hargett's home. They've called everyone they know for help, but still nothing has been done. Not to mention, the living conditions for the family have drastically changed. They were forced to move in with their in-laws, sharing one bedroom.

"It's one room that we're all four staying in and it's really cramped. Like our clothes are out in the garage, or some of them are in the attic and we're just having to do the best we can," says Tammy Hargett, Owner of Home.  

The problem, black, toxic mold. It all started will a leak in the basement. It spread faster than they could imagine and soon the whole family was sick. All from the toxic mold that had infested their home.

The Hargett family tried to stop the growth by taking out the wall and part of the floor here in the basement, but the mold continued to grow, and will only get worse with the onset of warmer temperatures.

"If it keeps growing and it gets into the walls and into the attic, then there's no hope for the house. It will have to come down," says Hargett.

And not only is the home totally ruined, but everything inside the home is contaminated as well. The family counts this as a total loss. But where do they go from here?

"I've contacted everybody I could think of to see if we could try to get some help and nobody says they can. Mold is a natural disaster and there's nothing they can do to help us," says Hargett.

The Hargetts said they contacted their homeowner's insurance to get some financial help with this problem, but they gave them a very unexpected response. They don't cover toxic mold and there is nothing they can do to help. And you'd be surprised at the number of insurance companies that don't cover this type of damage. Something that makes you wonder just how insured you are.

A trust fund has been set up for the Hargett family at Regions Bank in Jonesboro. For donation information, contact Regions at 931-1000.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Bryant gallops home, Cubs rally in 8th, edge Cardinals 3-2

    Bryant gallops home, Cubs rally in 8th, edge Cardinals 3-2

    Sunday, July 23 2017 10:09 AM EDT2017-07-23 14:09:19 GMT
    (Source: AP Graphics Bank)(Source: AP Graphics Bank)

    Kris Bryant galloped home from first base on Anthony Rizzo's bloop double, capping a three-run rally in the eighth inning that sent the Chicago Cubs over the St. Louis Cardinals 3-2 Saturday in the ever-tightening NL...

    Kris Bryant galloped home from first base on Anthony Rizzo's bloop double, capping a three-run rally in the eighth inning that sent the Chicago Cubs over the St. Louis Cardinals 3-2 Saturday in the ever-tightening NL...

  • ASP: One dead, two injured in crash

    ASP: One dead, two injured in crash

    Sunday, July 23 2017 9:53 AM EDT2017-07-23 13:53:01 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 10:07 AM EDT2017-07-23 14:07:16 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    A White County woman was killed and two others were injured Saturday night in a two-vehicle accident, according to a preliminary fatality report from the Arkansas State Police.

    A White County woman was killed and two others were injured Saturday night in a two-vehicle accident, according to a preliminary fatality report from the Arkansas State Police.

  • Jonesboro fire crews battle blaze downtown

    Jonesboro fire crews battle blaze downtown

    Saturday, July 22 2017 9:17 PM EDT2017-07-23 01:17:09 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 8:57 AM EDT2017-07-23 12:57:40 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    Fire Chief, Kevin Miller, said at the scene there were no reported injuries. 

    Fire Chief, Kevin Miller, said at the scene there were no reported injuries. 

Powered by Frankly