Fire Leaves Craighead County Family Homeless

MARCH 24, 2006 -- POSTED AT 8:00 P.M. CST

BROOKLAND, AR -- The home is counted as a total loss. Connie Vixon and her daughter lived in the house on Pine Log Road near Brookland and now the place they once called home is little more than rubble and ashes.

"I'm just so upset. There are so many emotions right now, because I don't have anything, everything that I had is gone," says Chera Everett, a Brookland High School Senior who lived in the house.

And to make it even worse, Thursday was her mother's birthday. A birthday she'll never forget.

The family had just left for Memphis. Someone driving by noticed the smoke and stopped to knock on the neighbor's door.

"I was sitting in the house watching t.v. and a guy knocked on the door and said call the fire department, this house is on fire up here," says Cleroy Hathcoet, a neighbor who reported the fire.

Firefighters said they are unsure of the cause of the fire, but the family said it could have come from space heaters they have been using to save money on gas. But regardless of the cause, the devastating blaze left the family wondering where they'll go from here.

"I don't know what I'm going to do. I never imagined this would happen to me," said Chera Everett.

The family plans to stay with relatives temporarily.