Man Pleads Guilty in Slaying of 91-Year-Old Conway Man - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Man Pleads Guilty in Slaying of 91-Year-Old Conway Man

April 1, 2006 - Posted at 12:38 p.m. CST

CONWAY, Ark. (AP) _ One of two men charged in the slaying of a

91-year-old man in an apparent robbery of his home has pleaded

guilty to first-degree murder.

Raymon Brown was sentenced Wednesday to 40 years in prison for

the slaying of Opal Veasley, who was shot to death July 21ST, 2004.

Brown and the other suspect, Jarrius Dominic Williams, were

charged with capital murder, though prosecutors opted against

seeking the death penalty.

Deputy Prosecutor Angela Byrd says Williams was offered an

opportunity to plead guilty to first-degree murder but he didn't

accept.

Inside Veasley's home, the refrigerator door was left open and

his mattress had been tossed. Police said at the time they believed

the culprits were looking for hidden money.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly