Fire Destroys Family Business for Fourth Time - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Brookland, AR--Tiffany Blankenship Reports

Fire Destroys Family Business for Fourth Time

April 18, 2006--Posted at 6:00 pm

BROOKLAND--A fire broke out in Brookland today leaving a family business in ruins for the fourth time...
 Quality Cabinets is facing another near total loss.

 Quality cabinets went up in smoke... But this isn't the first time...

"This is kind of the fourth fire. We had one, the refrigerator shorted out, lightning struck the building once, somebody had set it on fire once," Part Owner Gary Tobert says.

 Tolbert says the fire started when fan shorted out in a stain room.
 He said once the paint caught fire... It spread rapidly... Now, he's just hoping the fire department can salvage what's left.

"They had gotten the stain room contained and had just got past that a little bit and they cut a hole in the side of the wall and contained it from going all the way through the building," Tolbert says.

 And for a staff that is primarily Spanish speaking, the loss is hard to explain...

"I try to talk to two of them and let them do all the explaining... Some of them don't really understand English very well so kinda don't really know where to go from here," Tolbert says.

 And for a family business that has been in ruins before, they're trying to figure out how to start over... Once again.

"It hurts... It hurts bad. I've been doing it ever since i've graduated. My dad has been doing it for over 35 years. I  really don't know anything else. I've been doing it all my life. I don't know where to go from here," Tolbert says. 
 

The Tolbert family says two of the four fires that destroyed their business were total losses.

We'll have an update on today's fire tonight on Nightbeat.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • People who ate at Dexter, MO restaurant may have been exposed to Hepatitis A

    People who ate at Dexter, MO restaurant may have been exposed to Hepatitis A

    Friday, December 15 2017 5:21 AM EST2017-12-15 10:21:03 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    Members of the public who ate at the Dexter, Missouri, Huddle House between November 21, 2017, and December 2, 2017, should watch for symptoms of Hepatitis A.  

    Members of the public who ate at the Dexter, Missouri, Huddle House between November 21, 2017, and December 2, 2017, should watch for symptoms of Hepatitis A.  

  • Clay County SO, ASP investigate woman's death

    Clay County SO, ASP investigate woman's death

    Thursday, December 14 2017 10:21 PM EST2017-12-15 03:21:34 GMT
    Thursday, December 14 2017 11:40 PM EST2017-12-15 04:40:07 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    Clay County authorities are attempting to get information from the public in a death investigation, Sheriff Terry Miller said Thursday. 

    Clay County authorities are attempting to get information from the public in a death investigation, Sheriff Terry Miller said Thursday. 

  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

    Sister Rosetta Tharpe nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

    Thursday, December 14 2017 10:45 PM EST2017-12-15 03:45:44 GMT
    Thursday, December 14 2017 11:38 PM EST2017-12-15 04:38:29 GMT
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Source: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Website)Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Source: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Website)

    A guitarist and singer from Cotton Plant, who served as a role model for several area musicians who later became famous, was recently nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

    A guitarist and singer from Cotton Plant, who served as a role model for several area musicians who later became famous, was recently nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Powered by Frankly