Four Arkansas Law Enforcement Groups to Split Money in Armor Lawsuit - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Little Rock, AR

Four Arkansas Law Enforcement Groups to Split Money in Armor Lawsuit

APRIL 20, 2006 - Posted at 3:42 p.m. CST

 

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Attorney General Mike Beebe says four state law enforcement agencies will receive a total of  $427,000 from a class-action lawsuit over defective Zylon body armor vests.

Second Chance Body Armor, the company that sold the vests, admitted they were defective, and Toyobo Company, which made the Zylon fibers, settled the lawsuit last year for over $29 million.

The Arkansas agencies were parties to the suit filed in Oklahoma.  The Arkansas portion of the settlement will go to the Arkansas State Police, the Arkansas Department of Community Correction, the State Capitol Police and the Camp Robinson Department of Public Safety.

The money will be used to replace vests.  Beebe said a lawsuit his office filed against the company involved, Second Chance, is pending while the company goes through bankruptcy.  The state is hoping for a share of the company's assets.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly