Caruthersville Starts Cleanup...Again

April 26, 2006 – Posted at 5:43 p.m. CST

CARUTHERSVILLE, MO -- The National Weather Service in Memphis confirms there were two tornados that tore through Pemiscot County around 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday.

The first touched down just west of the community of Deering, then lifted up and re-touched down a quarter mile south of where an F-3 struck only 24 days earlier.

The second twister landed near Steele, crossed Interstate-55 and then traveled to Cottonwood Point.

It's been more than three weeks since an F3 tornado ripped through Caruthersville, destroying more than half of the town. On Tuesday, two F1 tornados ripped through this already ravaged community.

"I think that everyone's in shock that it happened again, so fast especially," said Caruthersville resident Chris Patterson.

Patterson and his family were at home on April 2nd and on Tuesday when severe weather spawned tornados. The Patterson home escaped damage the first time, but wasn't so lucky yesterday.

"My tree fell over and the other tree fell on my roof and an awning from my neighbor's shed from across the street over here came up here and punched a hole in my roof," said Patterson.

"The people that had their houses damaged, they're in just as bad a shape as the ones that lost everything on April 2nd," said Pemiscot County Sheriff Tommy Greenwell.

The rebuilding process is slowly but surely coming along. While the second round of severe weather may be a setback for this community, it's a lesson in endurance.

"It will be a slow process, but they'll get there," said Patterson.

"We've had our share and I don't wish any bad luck on anyone else, but I wish it would go somewhere else," sighed Greenwell.

Two minor injuries were reported in Tuesday's tornados, but again the town of Caruthersville continues to count its blessings. Fortunately, no one was killed.

The National Weather Service in Memphis also reported damage from straight line winds between Highway 412 and Highway C near Stubtown.