Arkansas Governor Refuses News Releases, Schedule to Newspaper - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Arkansas Governor Refuses News Releases, Schedule to Newspaper

April 29, 2006 - Posted at 1:16 p.m. CST

LITTLE ROCK (AP) _ Governor Huckabee has refused to give his

press releases or public schedule to a weekly newspaper whose

editor has twice unsuccessfully filed ethics complaints against the

governor. Max Brantley, editor of the Arkansas Times, says he

learned this week that the weekly had been removed from the

governor's e-mail list for news releases, public schedules and

other notices. Huckabee spokeswoman Alice Stewart says the paper

was removed because the list is intended for ``legitimate'' news

organizations. Stewart says the Arkansas Times editorializes in its

stories and the paper creates news by filing ethics complaints or

lawsuits.

Brantley says the newspaper is considering whether to sue the

governor, claiming possible constitutional and Arkansas Freedom of

Information Act violations.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly