August 09, 2006 -- Posted at 10:25 a.m. CDT
Greene County -- The number one station in the Western Greene County Fire District is still smoldering after a fire ripped through the volunteer fire station early Wednesday morning.
"I was the first person on the scene, and there was fire coming from the center of the building. There was fire coming out from the rooftop. It had just begun to vent itself at that point," said Chief Marvin Gander at the Western Greene County Fire District.
Fire fighters pulled another pumper from a near by garage to extinguish the early morning blaze.
"We had two trucks in this building, and we were able to get those out. It looks like we have salvaged most of the equipment inside, but the building is a total loss," said Gander.
The building was primarily used for training volunteer firefighters, and housing records and fire trucks.
Renovations to this fire station were underway.
They just finished painting the building, and began putting on a new roof on Tuesday.
"They showed up and gave it 110 percent. The fire was just so hot when they got here and that is why we sustained so much damage," said Gander.
Chief Gander says inspite of this fire, they are still able to answer and respond to emergency calls.