4 Men Arrested at Craighead Forest Park for Public Sexual Indecency

AUGUST 17, 2006 -- POSTED AT 10:00 P.M. CDT

JONESBORO, AR -- An undercover sting operation by Jonesboro Police Department nets four arrests for 'Public Sexual Indecency'. On top of the alleged crime, it's where the four men were picked up that could be considered more disturbing.

All four men were arrested for allegedly performing sexual activities inside a bathroom at Craighead Forest Park. 58 year old Otis Willey of Jonesboro, who is shown as married on police reports, and 49 year old David Brooks of Lake City. They were taken to Craighead County Detention Center. Two more men were caught just hours later. However, due to certain conditions, they were cited to court and not sent to jail. They are 62 year old Dewey Mosley of Paragould and 73 year old Paul Needham of Bono.

"We did an undercover sting operation out there starting today and we're going to continue to do it until we can stop that kind of behavior," says Jonesboro Police Chief Mike Yates.

But police say this problem is nothing new.

"We've heard complaints for some time now. We consider it an ongoing problem out there," says Sgt. Stephen McDaniel of the Jonesboro Police Department.

Police say the biggest complaint continues to be the fact that sexual activity is taking place in the public's view, especially in a park where children may be present.

"One of the most recent complaints came from a parent of a 16 year old child that had been propositioned outside one of the public restrooms in the park," says Sgt. McDaniel.

What exactly constitutes public sexual indecency? By law, a person engaging in the act of sexual intercourse or any sexual contact, or deviating sexual activity, in a public place or view can be charged and because of these 4 men's suspected actions, that's exactly what they will have to face.

"The individuals that we arrested today will be charged with public sexual indecency and that is a Class A Misdemeanor. In court they can get up to a thousand dollar fine and up to one year in jail for," says Sgt. McDaniel.

The 2 men that were taken to jail Monday were given a bond of $500 each for their charges. Both posted bond early Monday evening.