Randolph County Still Recovering - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Randolph County, AR -- Marsha Mays Reporting

Randolph County Still Recovering

SEPTEMBER 27, 2006 -- POSTED AT 10:30 P.M. CDT

RANDOLPH COUNTY, AR -- All 5 rivers that meet in Randolph County have already reached their peak after last weekend's heavy rainfall.  Four days later, the county continues to deal with the aftermath.

"We've got well over a million dollars worth of damage to the road system could go as high as two million and here we are at the end of the year with our budget," says Randolph County Judge David Jansen.

Since the county was declared a state disaster area, the state will reimburse the county for 35 percent of the work they do repairing the damages, but Judge Jansen says coming up with the other 65 percent will be tough. However, he says things are looking better each day; it's just going to be a slow process.

"We're still assessing and we're trying to rebuild our roads, rebuild bridges, and just trying to get all the roads opened back up and we will, one way or the other," says Judge Jansen.

The low lying areas in the county still have roads under water. Jeff Weiss has a home down Paducah Road and Saturday the road and his home were completely flooded.

"Within half an hour, we had over a foot of water in the house," says Jeff Weiss.

The bridge leading to his driveway is washed out and the other end of the road is still under water. Most of their belongings are soaked. He says it's tough, but through it all he says they still have hope, they'll start over.

"The more I walk in there; I just turn around and walk out. I can't deal with it, it's hard to deal with, but like I said I'd rebuild right there. I'd build it up higher," says Weiss.

Weiss says the outpouring of help has been tremendous and Judge Jansen says that just goes to show what kind of people live in Randolph County.

"They want to help their neighbor, they want to help the county, want to help the city, whatever they can do. It's pretty unique. We'll whether this, I can assure you," says Judge Jansen.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • breaking

    Crews responding to crash near Datto

    Crews responding to crash near Datto

    Tuesday, July 25 2017 12:36 PM EDT2017-07-25 16:36:21 GMT
    Tuesday, July 25 2017 12:41 PM EDT2017-07-25 16:41:44 GMT

    First responders in Clay County are headed to a reported crash near Datto.

    First responders in Clay County are headed to a reported crash near Datto.

  • breaking

    Deputy, city employee injured in Monette explosion

    Deputy, city employee injured in Monette explosion

    Tuesday, July 25 2017 10:28 AM EDT2017-07-25 14:28:54 GMT
    Tuesday, July 25 2017 12:26 PM EDT2017-07-25 16:26:43 GMT

    A Craighead County sheriff's deputy and a Monette city employee were injured following an explosion in Monette Tuesday.

    A Craighead County sheriff's deputy and a Monette city employee were injured following an explosion in Monette Tuesday.

  • Fire dept. celebrates new ISO rating

    Fire dept. celebrates new ISO rating

    Tuesday, April 25 2017 8:54 PM EDT2017-04-26 00:54:59 GMT
    Tuesday, July 25 2017 12:17 PM EDT2017-07-25 16:17:44 GMT
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)

    The Cushman Fire Department met their goal of lowering their ISO from a nine to a six rating. 

    The Cushman Fire Department met their goal of lowering their ISO from a nine to a six rating. 

Powered by Frankly