NOVEMBER 3, 2006 - Posted at 7:47 a.m. CST
FORREST CITY, AR - Forrest City police have rescued three children from a burning apartment. Firemen said a space heater ignited clothing and bed linens early this morning in a bedroom at the apartment of Elizabeth Jones about 1:30 a.m. When police officers arrived, they learned the children were in the apartment.
Officers William Sparkman, James Williams and Eric McCoy, along with an off-duty officer, Kareem Watson, who lives near the apartment complex, entered the townhouse and rescued the three children. They also went door-to-door notifying other residents of the fire, and escorted a woman and her baby from another apartment.
The three children suffered from smoke inhalation and were taken to Forrest City Medical Center for treatment. Their names were not released.
Fire department officials said the fire was contained to the one apartment. Fire Chief Dan Curtner cautioned residents who use space heaters to keep them away from anything that could catch fire. He said it was good the apartment in which the children lived had a smoke alarm.