Urology Q & A (2001)

Question 12/16/2001:  What causes semen fluid to appear brown - not red - like muddy water. For some months it was a little. Now all of it is dirty water appearing.

Answer:  In order to answer this question appropriately, you need to have the fluid evaluated.  The most common cause by far is chronic prostatitis.

NEA Clinic

(870) 935-4150 (for appointment)


Question 12/11/2001:  My husband had a vasectomy about 10 years ago. If we wanted to get it reversed, what are the chances of having a baby?  What is the cost of a reversal? Is it more painful for a reversal?
Answer:   Every case is quite unique in this situation. The time since the original operation, the type of operation, the age of the patient, etc...Therefore your husband needs to see an urologist for more information specific to his situation. The cost of the procedure will also vary depending on the situation.

NEA Clinic

(870) 935-4150 (for appointment)

Question 9/24/2001:  I have been trying to pass a kidney stone, that is in the ureter, for two weeks.  How long does it usually take?  I do not have blockage or urine or a temperature.
Answer:   There is no set time to pass a stone.  The important thing is to be sure there is no associated infection or obstruction.  Depending on the position and size of the stone the urologist will decide upon the type of treatment.  Stay in close touch with your urologist. 

Question 9/18/2001:  My husband has found a knot under his testicles. It's kind of deep inside.  You really have to press hard to feel it.  I have tried and tried to make him go and have it seen about.  But he will not go.  What could this be and how serious is it or could get?  He said it could have been there for years, but he has just found it a few months ago.  It's more on the right side of his sack and is about as big as a half inch round.  What do we need to do?  Thank you.
Answer:  Without an exam it is not possible for us to tell.  Usually a quick exam by your primary care doctor or perhaps an ultrasound can determine if this is a mass or a variant of his normal anatomy. 

Question 9/6/2001:  I went to the doctor yesterday, because I've been having problems with my kidneys. The doctor told me I have cystitis. Could you please explain to me what that is exactly?

Answer:  Cystitis is another term for bladder infection. In the strictest sense, cystitis does not involve the kidneys, but just the bladder.  If the infection reaches the kidneys, then is more serious, and called Pylonephritis.

Question 8/9/2001:  I need some advice. I have a serious problem with something and don’t know what or who to talk to. I am 45 years old. NO insurance (Medical). The last few months I have had a great deal of pain in my testicles. This is not a joke so please read on. I am almost to the point where I avoid my wife so I don’t get excited with her. Erections don’t hurt. Every thing from there on does. When I ejaculate it feels like someone has kicked me between the legs and I don’t know whether to cry or pass out. I have noticed that my left testicle goes up in my pubic area at the time of ejaculation and I have to push it back down. I know I need someone to look at this and help but don’t know who would do anything for me without insurance. What can I do?
Answer:  Without an exam, it is difficult to determine your problem, but it may well be epididymitis or inflammation of the sperm cord.  The church health center is available for those without insurance.

Question 8/8/2001:  What can I do to treat Peyronnie's disease?
Answer:  Peyronnie's disease has no cure.  Multi-vitamins have been used as well as massage of the placques, but there has not been a cure on the market. 

Question 7/14/2001:  My semen is turning into a clear gel. In the past year I have had my prostate checked, a lower GI performed and a fetus test and all checked good. Should I still be concerned, and if so, what should I do.
This can certainly be a normal variant.  However, with a change such as this be sure you have seen an Urologist for a complete evaluation.

Question 6/26/2001:  Male 52 years of age received a prostate screening results were above 4. The urologist asked for another blood sample. What does this mean?
Answer:  The PSA (prostrate specific antigen) is a very sensitive test for screening purposes.  There are far more false + tests than false -, making this an excellent screening test.  Prostate infection can falsely elevate the PSA.  If the routine screening test continues to rise however, with no evidence of infection, an ultrasound with biopsy of the prostate may be needed.  As we age, the PSA tends to increase as well. 

Question 6/25/2001:  I have had several problems with UTI's and I was wondering if I needed a referral to be seen by an urologist? My family doctor is back home and he suggests I see one. Can you help me?
Answer:  Yes. Recurrent Urinary Tract infections may mean that you have problems emptying your bladder.  The urologist can evaluate any blockage or nerve dysfunction of the bladder.

Question 5/21/2001:  I have had a lump in the epididymis area of my left testicle since late January.  I now have one on the right side also.  Could this be some type of blocked duct?  I have an appointment with MD in mid July.  Can I wait until then or should I have them checked?
It is not unusual to feel knots along the sperm duct or epididymis, on occasion this duct can become inflamed or infected and require treatment with an anti-inflammatory agent and/or antibiotic.  Sometimes, you may be feeling a varicose vein or even fatty tissue under the skin.  New lumps in this area should be evaluated by a Urologist.

Question 3/24/2001:  Is there a Urologist with the NEA?
At present there is not a Urologist in NEA Clinic.  However, there are five practicing Urologists in Jonesboro. 

Question 3/7/2001:  I had a vasectomy 12 days ago and everything went fine until two days ago I noticed a light brown fluid coming from one incision. The other incision is healing well but this one doesn’t appear to be. Should i be concerned?
This may only be a serous discharge commonly found after surgery, but you need to contact your surgeon for more details.