Former Alderman Arrested

JONESBORO, AR -- He was a city leader, but now he's on the other side of the law. Former City Councilman Jimmy Ashley was arrested Tuesday by Jonesboro Police on harassment charges.

"I'm being charged for something that I don't even know what's going on. It'll all work out. I ain't guilty of nothing," says Jimmy Ashley.

But police believe he is guilty. Around 1:00 Tuesday, police arrested Ashley driving his Ford Mustang close to Stadium Boulevard and Dayton Street.

Dayton Street is where the trouble allegedly began. A Jonesboro woman has been complaining to police for weeks now that Ashley is harassing her, driving by her house multiple times a day, stealing her mail, and throwing some of her destroyed belongings in her driveway. Police told the woman to set up a video camera. She did and she caught the car driving by on tape. Police believed they had enough evidence to make the arrest and when they searched his car, they believe they found even more.

"In the vehicle, I found articles of her mail that were in the house or in the vehicle. There was a ring that she later identified as her jewelry and there was a key that we found that fit her house," says Sgt. Todd Nelson with the Jonesboro Police Department.

We spoke with Ashley as he was released from police custody.

"I helped her get a car and I told her that she didn't pay for it and I told her that I repoed it and that I wanted my money back. So I tried to help somebody out and it didn't work out. She got mad and I told her I was going to take her to small claims court," says Ashley.

Ashley even let us hear a voicemail from the woman.

"VOICEMAIL: I called the police department. I talked to the legal and told them what's going on and if they don't want to help me, I'm going to take it into my own hands. Jimmy, I've had enough and I'm shaking. I want you to get out of my life and leave me alone," according to Ashley's voicemail.

Ashley says that the woman was a friend of his he was just trying to help out; the same woman who had him arrested Tuesday.

"ASHLEY: She's just a good friend. I mean like I said I've helped other friends out. I don't want anything to do with her. I haven't talked to her in probably six weeks. If she calls me phone, I hang up or I just let it go to voicemail," says Ashley.

On the surface his story may make sense, but when I asked him about where he was arrested and if that was close to the woman's home, his story wasn't so clear.

"She lives off over there somewhere. I'm not exactly sure where at hun. Question: so you've never been to her house. Answer: Oh, yea, I've been to her house. She's a friend, like I said, I've been to her house," says Ashley.

Ashley was released Tuesday by a judge without a bond after being charged with harassment, which is a misdemeanor charge. The judge also gave him a no contact order from the woman he's allegedly been harassing. His court date is set for May 15th.