Residents Pay $1.4 Million to Revive Region 8 Lake - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Horseshoe Lake, AR

Residents Pay $1.4 Million to Revive Region 8 Lake

HORSESHOE LAKE, AR - A $1.4 million pumping system is now pouring water into a popular east Arkansas lake that had turned into a puddle at times because of drought.

Horseshoe Lake, about 30 miles from Memphis in Crittenden County, has been a favorite destination for thousands of fishermen, duck hunters and boaters.  Real estate agent Pat Bonds estimates that 80 percent of the houses on the lake belong to residents in the Memphis area.  The other 20 percent belong to permanent lake residents who commute to Memphis for work.

Now, six pumps are each moving 5,000 gallons of well water per minute, and another four pumps will be on line soon.

In 2001, the Army Corps of Engineers determined a pumping system would be good for the lake, but residents would have to pay for the system.  That's when lake residents formed an irrigation district to save the lake.

With its own tax dollars, the group was able to pay the construction costs for the pumping system.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Salvation Army opening cooling center

    Salvation Army opening cooling center

    Monday, June 18 2018 10:25 PM EDT2018-06-19 02:25:10 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 10:58 PM EDT2018-06-19 02:58:36 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    With hot, muggy temperatures making their presence felt across Jonesboro, one building announced they've opened up their cooling center.

    With hot, muggy temperatures making their presence felt across Jonesboro, one building announced they've opened up their cooling center.

  • VA launches investigation into impaired Arkansas pathologist

    VA launches investigation into impaired Arkansas pathologist

    Monday, June 18 2018 10:42 PM EDT2018-06-19 02:42:51 GMT
    (Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs via Facebook)(Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs via Facebook)
    (Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs via Facebook)(Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs via Facebook)

    Federal officials say a pathologist fired from an Arkansas veterans hospital for being "impaired on duty" misdiagnosed seven cases and more than 30,000 additional cases are being reviewed.

    Federal officials say a pathologist fired from an Arkansas veterans hospital for being "impaired on duty" misdiagnosed seven cases and more than 30,000 additional cases are being reviewed.

  • Ordinance proposed to change city council member terms

    Ordinance proposed to change city council member terms

    Monday, June 18 2018 9:24 PM EDT2018-06-19 01:24:55 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 10:26 PM EDT2018-06-19 02:26:53 GMT
    Batesville City Council members are considering putting an ordinance to change term limits in front of voters. (Source: KAIT)Batesville City Council members are considering putting an ordinance to change term limits in front of voters. (Source: KAIT)
    Batesville City Council members are considering putting an ordinance to change term limits in front of voters. (Source: KAIT)Batesville City Council members are considering putting an ordinance to change term limits in front of voters. (Source: KAIT)

    Batesville voters could soon have the choice of whether to lengthen the terms of city council members.?

    Batesville voters could soon have the choice of whether to lengthen the terms of city council members.?

Powered by Frankly