Three Firefighters Injured While Battling Blaze in Hoxie

HOXIE, AR - Three firefighters have been injured during a six alarm fire in Hoxie at the Furniture and Appliances Now store.  One of the firemen fell from a ladder, one suffered from smoke inhalation, while the other was overcome with heat exhaustion.  At least two of the firefighters were taken to Lawrence County Memorial Hospital in nearby Walnut Ridge.

Firefighter John Simpkins, a captain with the Sedgwick Volunteer Fire Dept., is hospitalized in fair condition after being treated for heat exhaustion.  Firefighter William Blair, 38, a captain with the Hoxie Fire Dept., is in stable condition.

The first call about the fire came in at 9:07p.m. Tuesday night.  The store is located along U.S. Highway 67B.  Police at the scene tell K8 News the fire started on the back corner of the building and quickly spread.  Within a few minutes, the fire had destroyed nearly all of the building.  Firefighters from Hoxie, Walnut Ridge, Alicia, Portia, Sedgwick, Imboden and Black Rock all responded to scene.

K8 News will have more on this story today as details become available.

To sign up for Breaking News Alerts from K8 News, click here.