Halter Touts $300,000 Pledge in Lottery Campaign - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Little Rock, AR

Halter Touts $300,000 Pledge in Lottery Campaign

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Lieutenant Governor Bill Halter announced today that a Little Rock builder has pledged $300,000 to his campaign to put a state-run lottery on the 2008 ballot.

Developer John Bailey and his family pledged the money to the group "Hope for Arkansas," which is Halter's campaign committee for the proposed constitutional amendment.  Halter has said the lottery will fund $100 million each year in college scholarships.

Bailey is listed as Hope for Arkansas' treasurer on papers the organization has filed with the state Ethics Commission.

Halter says he does not know when he will submit a revised version of the proposal to create the lottery.  Attorney General Dustin McDaniel last week rejected the wording of the proposed amendment, but Halter can resubmit his plan with new language.

McDaniel's office must certify the proposed amendment's language before lottery supporters can begin gathering signatures.  Placing a constitutional amendment on the ballot requires collecting signatures of registered voters equal to 10 percent of the ballots cast in last year's governor's election, or about 78,000 signatures.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Crews work to restore power to residents following overnight storm damage

    Crews work to restore power to residents following overnight storm damage

    Saturday, March 25 2017 11:28 AM EDT2017-03-25 15:28:38 GMT
    Saturday, March 25 2017 3:06 PM EDT2017-03-25 19:06:50 GMT
    (Source: Craighead Electric Cooperative Facebook Page)(Source: Craighead Electric Cooperative Facebook Page)

    Several residents affected by overnight storms may have to wait a while before their power is restored.

    Several residents affected by overnight storms may have to wait a while before their power is restored.

  • City incinerator cut off following early morning storm damage

    City incinerator cut off following early morning storm damage

    Saturday, March 25 2017 10:37 AM EDT2017-03-25 14:37:51 GMT
    Saturday, March 25 2017 3:06 PM EDT2017-03-25 19:06:07 GMT
    (Source: Bill Campbell)(Source: Bill Campbell)

    The city of Jonesboro announced Saturday morning that access to the city's incinerator has been cut off in the wake of storms that rolled through the area.

    The city of Jonesboro announced Saturday morning that access to the city's incinerator has been cut off in the wake of storms that rolled through the area.

  • New business comes to Bono

    New business comes to Bono

    Friday, March 24 2017 11:38 PM EDT2017-03-25 03:38:07 GMT
    Friday, March 24 2017 11:45 PM EDT2017-03-25 03:45:53 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    One-third of the Jim Co Factory building in Bono will now be used as another factory, bring six to eight jobs to the city.

    One-third of the Jim Co Factory building in Bono will now be used as another factory, bring six to eight jobs to the city.

Powered by Frankly