Reaction to Kirby Archer Murder Charges

October 15, 2007 - Posted at 6:02 p.m. CDT

BATESVILLE-Months after his dissappearance the news of Kirby Archer's whereabouts would surface by means of the U.S. Coast Guard.

He and a 19-year-old Guillermo Zarabozo were found in a life raft several miles from the "Joe Cool" boat they had chartered days before.

Aboard the boat was no sign of it's four member crew.

This was a fate feared by crew members' families.

"They said they both worked for a surveying company and they finished up early. They were going to go join their girlfriends over in Bemini. He whipped out 4-thousand in cash, and the boat left," said Jeff Brenam, an uncle of one of the crew members.

Now, both Archer and Zarabozo are facing four counts of first-degree murder.

And the twists and turns of this story began back in January of this year.  Archer, a customer service manager at the Wal-Mart in Batesville, reportedly stole more than 92-thousand dollars from the cashier's office, placed it in a microwave, and then checked it out and walked out the front door.

Across the street, Tony Rushing, owner of White River Auto Sales says the story has been quite the talk.

"At first, when the news hit, that he along with his companion had possibly killed four people, yeah I think that got some people's attention," said Rushing.

Especially considering archer lived in nearby Strawberry.

"I mean, you just never know about a person," said Win Coleman of Batesville.

Archer was a person who just months earlier could be seen at the local Wal-Mart.

"You can go from being an area manager to a murder suspect, that's not a very good day's work," said Coleman.

Now that this story has evolved, the biggest question is why?

"Stealing the money was one thing. That was bad enough, but knowing this guy is capable of apparently what has happened...killing those four people. That is very strong," said Rushing.

We attempted to contact several members of Archer's family by phone and in person today, but had no luck.

We have now learned that most of his family has since moved from the Strawberry area.

We'll continue to bring you the latest on this developing story.

Story ideas or comments?  Email Will at