MIAMI - An northeast Arkansas man and an alleged accomplice accused in the killing of four people on a Miami charter boat have been ordered held with no bail. Lawyers for the men argue there is no evidence that their clients killed the fishing boat crew members.
Attorneys for Kirby Archer of Strawberry and Guillermo Zarabozo say there was no weight to prosecutors' highlighting of inconsistencies in the defendants' statements about what exactly happened about the 47-foot "Joe Cool" last month.
The defendants also provided conflicting statements on how they met, when they decided to charter a boat and the attire of pirates they said were responsible for the killings. But their attorneys say that's understandable considering the stress.
But a federal magistrate today said the gravity of the charges makes it necessary to keep the suspects behind bars. They're due back in court Thursday for an arraignment on federal murder charges.
It is no easy case for prosecutors, with no bodies, no murder weapon, no witnesses and no confession. But they say the circumstantial evidence tells the story.
Archer and Zaraboso paid $4,000 in cash for the "Joe Cool" to take them to the Bahamas on September 22. The boat was reported missing the next day, and the two men were later found on its life raft not far from the abandoned and drifting vessel. No one was aboard.
Archer is also wanted in Independence County for the theft of more than $92,000 in cash from the Batesville Wal-Mart store, where he was previously employed.