Smoke Inhalation Ruled as Cause of Death in Piggott Fire Fatality

PIGGOTT, AR - Authorities say a woman who died in a house fire in Piggott on Monday died from smoke inhalation.

Teresa Kirk, 44, was found dead around 6 a.m. on Monday in her burned home.  Kirk had cuts and bruises on her forehead, which led investigators to wonder if she had been the victim of a crime.  State Police say it appears Kirk hurt herself when she fell trying to get out of the burning home.

Officials say the fire may have been started by a cigarette.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)