After I'm Dead, Do I Care About My Body? - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Jonesboro - Keith Boles Reporting

After I'm Dead, Do I Care About My Body?

OCTOBER 31, 2007 - POSTED 5:30 p.m. CDT

JONESBORO - Since its Halloween, we ask a morbid question.

When we pass away, do we really care what happens to our physical bodies, and is it important?

Halloween is a day when we traditionally dress up in costumes and pass out candy to the kids who come knocking on our door. It's also the one time of year when our fascination with death gets a little bit above the surface where it normally hides and we ask ourselves, what's going to happen to me after I die and some people ask the question do I even care?

Mary Ferguson has a rather unique solution, "I really don't care at that point, I mean it doesn't matter, you're dead, it matters more to the people who are still alive I guess, me put me in a hefty cinch and throw me over, good to go. "

That seems a somewhat harsh final solution and obviously not practical, when we depart this world to whatever lies beyond we leave behind our mortal remains for our loved ones to deal with.

Buddy Herbert  is the owner of Gregg Funeral home in Jonesboro. This business has been in existence since 1887 and has seen literally thousands pass through it's doors. Herbert says that "it's so hard when someone passes away, they're grieving they're hurting inside."

And not only are the loved ones faced with the loss , death is a time of decision.

Herbert, "You have to pick out a casket, You have to pick out what kind of services you want to have, do you want to have visitation, it's just a lot lot of decisions have to be made in a short amount of time."

One thing I discovered is that in talking with young people, at this point in their lives what ever happens to their body, they really don't care.

Take for instance ASU Sophomore Brandon Smith,  "Personally I really don't mind what my family does with my body, if they want to cremate me and keep me in their house or bury me and put me in the ground, I really don't mind. "

Or Tiffany Walls, who thought being buried was okay, "Probably be buried so people can come visit me and put flowers on my grave. At least so far that's what I think."

Deep down inside probably we do care what happens to our shell after we leave it behind but as far as the next step beyond what this world has to offer, ASU Freshman Meagan Corbett has it all planned out.

"Well I'm gonna be in heaven so I guess I don't really care what happens to my body cause I'm gonna be in heaven living the life."

• breaking

Dollar General store a total loss after fire

Dollar General store a total loss after fire

Friday, June 22 2018 10:35 PM EDT2018-06-23 02:35:05 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 12:49 AM EDT2018-06-23 04:49:47 GMT
    Firefighters were at the scene of a fire Friday night at the Dollar General at the corner of Johnson Avenue and Main Street. (Source: KAIT-TV)Firefighters were at the scene of a fire Friday night at the Dollar General at the corner of Johnson Avenue and Main Street. (Source: KAIT-TV)

A Jonesboro Dollar General store is a total loss after a fire Friday night

A Jonesboro Dollar General store is a total loss after a fire Friday night

Sinkhole at Spring River continues to grow, official says

Friday, June 22 2018 7:28 PM EDT2018-06-22 23:28:30 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 11:28 PM EDT2018-06-23 03:28:41 GMT
    Officials are working to find a solution to a sinkhole on the Spring River in Fulton County. (Source: Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Facebook page)Officials are working to find a solution to a sinkhole on the Spring River in Fulton County. (Source: Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Facebook page)

A sinkhole in the Spring River in Fulton County where a man was killed earlier this month faces major safety issues as officials continue to work on a solution to the issue.

A-State to add musical theatre to degree program

Friday, June 22 2018 8:00 PM EDT2018-06-23 00:00:34 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 10:15 PM EDT2018-06-23 02:15:29 GMT

The introduction of musical theatre as part of the Department of Theatre at Arkansas State University will provide students in the field with a key opportunity to learn more on the emerging field, university officials said Friday.