Illinois Prosecutor Waives Death Penalty for SeMo Serial Killer - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Marion, IL

Illinois Prosecutor Waives Death Penalty for SeMo Serial Killer

MARION, IL - An Illinois prison inmate charged in a decades-old multistate killing spree won't face a possible death sentence on charges that he killed a woman 30 years ago in Marion, IL.

Charles Garnati, Williamson County's prosecutor, on Wednesday waived the death penalty for two murder counts he filed last month against 63-year-old Timothy Krajcir.

Krajcir is accused of raping and slaying 51-year-old Virginia Lee Witte of Marion in 1978.

Garnati says he took the death penalty off the table because Krajcir helped solve the slaying.

Krajcir also was accused last month in Missouri's Cape Girardeau County in the killings of five women between 1977 and 1982.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Man injured in lawn mower accident, good Samaritans save his life

    Man injured in lawn mower accident, good Samaritans save his life

    Wednesday, July 19 2017 11:28 PM EDT2017-07-20 03:28:37 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 6:34 AM EDT2017-07-20 10:34:18 GMT
    (Source: Jeff Cameron Facebook)(Source: Jeff Cameron Facebook)

    It was a freak accident that landed one Greene County Tech School District maintenance worker in the hospital. However, it wasn’t until after some good samaritans saved his life.

    It was a freak accident that landed one Greene County Tech School District maintenance worker in the hospital. However, it wasn’t until after some good samaritans saved his life.

  • Jonesboro building on historic register set for demolition

    Jonesboro building on historic register set for demolition

    Thursday, July 20 2017 6:27 AM EDT2017-07-20 10:27:47 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    A 110-year-old Jonesboro building listed on the National Register of Historic Places is set for demolition after a judge dismissed an appeal of a condemnation order.

    A 110-year-old Jonesboro building listed on the National Register of Historic Places is set for demolition after a judge dismissed an appeal of a condemnation order.

  • Prosecutor: Manslaughter charges filed in June beating death

    Prosecutor: Manslaughter charges filed in June beating death

    Thursday, July 20 2017 6:22 AM EDT2017-07-20 10:22:57 GMT
    (Source: AP)(Source: AP)

    Prosecuting Attorney Henry Boyce says his office has filed charges against a Pocahontas man accused of beating another man with a bat. The victim later died from his injuries. 

    Prosecuting Attorney Henry Boyce says his office has filed charges against a Pocahontas man accused of beating another man with a bat. The victim later died from his injuries. 

Powered by Frankly