Risk factors for heart disease: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, being overweight, being physically inactive, age (55 or older women), and having a family history of early heart disease. Talk to your doctor. Find out your risk. And take action to lower it.
Questions to Ask your Doctor
- What is my risk for heart disease?
- What screening or diagnostic tests for heart disease do I need?
- What are my numbers and what do they mean?
Cholesterol - total cholesterol, LDL ("bad) cholesterol, HDL ("good") cholesterol, and triglycerides
Body mass index and waist circumference measurement
Blood sugar level (could indicate risk for diabetes)
- What can you do to help me quit smoking?
- How much physical activity do I need to help protect my heart?
- What is a heart-healthy eating plan for me?