Region 8 Outreach For Military Families - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Rebecca Smith Reports

Region 8 Outreach For Military Families

West Memphis, AR (KAIT)-

For Rita Trigg, this marks the third time she's seen her husband off to war.

"You never get used to it," said Trigg. "It's an emotional roller coaster."

The National Guard is sending him to Iraq with the 216th MP of the 39th Infantry Brigade.

"Never in a million years did I see this coming," she said. "Only because this is his third deployment. I thought he was done after the second one, but he had a calling and he accepted it."

Petra Baugh is from Blytheville and her 21-year-old daughter is also being sent to Iraq. It's her first time to really be away from home.

"You want to run down to Mississippi and help her, but I think at the moment I'm OK because they're not in Iraq yet," said Baugh.

However, soon they will be. That's why dads, moms, husbands and wives met at the National Guard Armory in West Memphis Saturday, to attend a family readiness group, that they hope, will prepare them for some of the challenges that come with the territory, when you're part of a military family.

Belicia Sims works for the National Guard unit stationed here and knows all about the hardships of a deployment.

Her husband was sent to Iraq shortly after Belicia gave birth to one of their children.

Belicia says having a support group like this is good for the family, but, also the soldier.

"I felt like I was all alone," said Sims. "I felt like I was out there by myself. So, what we do is kind of take the place of the soldier."

It's not just the soldier on the battlefield, but the soldier in the spirit of these family members, that they say keeps them going.

"I have faith in God," said Trigg. "That's what getting me through it. I let go and I let God and that's what I live by on a daily basis and it helps."

If you're interested in being a part of the Family Readiness Group, contact Belicia Sims at belicia.sims@us.army.mil or Petra Baugh at  fredpetra@sbcglobal.net

Questions or Comments? E-mail me at rsmith@kait8.com

Live in Montgomery: The Day before the Big Game

Friday, December 15 2017 11:41 PM EST2017-12-16 04:41:07 GMT
    Saturday, December 16 2017 8:37 AM EST2017-12-16 13:37:47 GMT
    The A-State football team visited the Rosa Parks Museum this week as part of bowl festivities for the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Ala. (Source: KAIT)The A-State football team visited the Rosa Parks Museum this week as part of bowl festivities for the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Ala. (Source: KAIT)

It was a busy Friday as the A-State Red Wolves finished the final preparations for Saturday's game against Middle Tennessee in the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, AL.

One dead, one in custody, investigator says in Lawrence County shooting

Friday, December 15 2017 9:17 PM EST2017-12-16 02:17:05 GMT
    Saturday, December 16 2017 8:30 AM EST2017-12-16 13:30:19 GMT
    Lawrence County deputies were at the scene of a shooting Friday night on Highway 91. (Source: KAIT)Lawrence County deputies were at the scene of a shooting Friday night on Highway 91. (Source: KAIT)

According to Sgt. Jamie White of the Lawrence County Sheriff's Office, authorities there are investigating a shooting in which a woman was killed.

Greensborough Village project sees first building construction project

Friday, December 15 2017 11:18 PM EST2017-12-16 04:18:27 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 11:38 PM EST2017-12-16 04:38:31 GMT
    A developer said Friday that the Greensborough Village project is moving ahead. (Source: KAIT)A developer said Friday that the Greensborough Village project is moving ahead. (Source: KAIT)

A 200-acre property project in the Hilltop area of Jonesboro is moving ahead, a developer of the project said Friday.