Overnight Fire Destroys Greene County Home

PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) - A house on Highway 49 south of Paragould went up in flames around 8:30 p.m. last night and today nothing is left of the residence.

No one was hurt in the fire but it took teams of South Greene County, Paragould and Brookland fire fighters to quench the flames.  Kendall Treece, the owner, tells Region 8 News that he smelled smoke in the basement and when he opened the door, the smoke hit him in the face.

Treece and his wife were able to grab a few possessions but most of their belongings were unable to be saved.  It was simply too dangerous to stay inside.

One of the reasons that the fire was so hard to fight was because of how well the house was built.

There is no official word on the cause of the blaze but the owner says they had the washer and dryer running in the basement.  That is what the owner believes caused the fire.