Health News (AP)
- The prospect of surgery can scare child a great deal, so it's important to fully prepare the child before you head to the hospital.
The Lucile Packard Children's Hospital offers these suggestions:
- Find out as much as you can about the surgery, so you can answer the child's questions and reply with the right information.
- Be honest when answering questions, but make sure your responses are appropriate for the child's age.
- Read books with your child about preparing for a trip to the hospital.
- Take a tour of the hospital, including areas where the child will be.
- If your child is old enough and mature enough to make a choice, let the child make it.
-- Diana Kohnle