Man Recovering from BBQ Mishap - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Reported by Jason Miles

Man Recovering from BBQ Mishap

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - Before you fire up your barbeque grill, listen carefully to a Memphis man's wife's advice.

"Just please take extra precaution so something like this doesn't happen," Carmen Culler said.

Her husband was preparing to throw food on the grill this Memorial Day weekend when he nearly went up in flames.

Anson Culler was standing in front of the charcoal grill when it happened. He was squirting lighter fluid from this bottle.  "And the flame caught the bottle and his hand and my son said that the bottle exploded," Culler said.

Jordan Dennison was just a few feet away.  "I was screaming...trying to get my mom's attention," Dennison said.

His face was severely blistered and they actually had to peel the skin off of his face.

Carmen said she broke down when she saw her husband in the hospital not long after he was rushed there from the house.  "When my mother and I entered the room yesterday, we just held each other and cried because it's so devastating," Culler said.  

The family has a new respect for outdoor cooking...an everyday activity that almost became deadly.

The family believes the bottle may have had a hole in it, allowing lighter fluid to squirt on Anson Culler and the fire.

Luckily for Anson, he is expected to make a full recovery.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • People who ate at Dexter, MO restaurant may have been exposed to Hepatitis A

    People who ate at Dexter, MO restaurant may have been exposed to Hepatitis A

    Friday, December 15 2017 5:21 AM EST2017-12-15 10:21:03 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    Members of the public who ate at the Dexter, Missouri, Huddle House between November 21, 2017, and December 2, 2017, should watch for symptoms of Hepatitis A.  

    Members of the public who ate at the Dexter, Missouri, Huddle House between November 21, 2017, and December 2, 2017, should watch for symptoms of Hepatitis A.  

  • Clay County SO, ASP investigate woman's death

    Clay County SO, ASP investigate woman's death

    Thursday, December 14 2017 10:21 PM EST2017-12-15 03:21:34 GMT
    Thursday, December 14 2017 11:40 PM EST2017-12-15 04:40:07 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    Clay County authorities are attempting to get information from the public in a death investigation, Sheriff Terry Miller said Thursday. 

    Clay County authorities are attempting to get information from the public in a death investigation, Sheriff Terry Miller said Thursday. 

  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

    Sister Rosetta Tharpe nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

    Thursday, December 14 2017 10:45 PM EST2017-12-15 03:45:44 GMT
    Thursday, December 14 2017 11:38 PM EST2017-12-15 04:38:29 GMT
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Source: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Website)Sister Rosetta Tharpe (Source: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Website)

    A guitarist and singer from Cotton Plant, who served as a role model for several area musicians who later became famous, was recently nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

    A guitarist and singer from Cotton Plant, who served as a role model for several area musicians who later became famous, was recently nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Powered by Frankly