Fourth In Forest Celebrated, Dignitaries Attend - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Rebecca Smith Reports

Fourth In Forest Celebrated, Dignitaries Attend

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT)- Friday's Fourth in the Forest at Craighead Forest Park drew a big crowd.

"It's just a big day to celebrate the Fourth of July," said Scott Siler, with KFIN radio, a sponsor of the event. "We've had 5 to 6,000 people come over the last few years. We're expecting that many this year. It's just a great time to come out and celebrate the Fourth of July."

Friday's celebration was also a chance for elected officials to make an appearance.

U.S. Congressman Marion Berry, along with newly announced mayoral candidate Jason Willett were there.

"I got my son with me, James Foster, he's one of the reasons I'm running for mayor," said Willett. "I've got a little slogan, it's 'Jonesboro committed, Jonesboro raised and Jonesboro proud.' I just wanted to come out and talk to the folks."

Region 8 News asked Willett what changes he'd like to institute to better ensure a future of growth for Jonesboro.

"I think Jonesboro needs a change in the Mayor," he said. "I'm not part of any group in the city. I'm not supported by anyone financially. I am running for the everyday citizen of Jonesboro."

It wasn't only residents from jonesboro that came out to enjoy the grilling, the fellowship and the rock, paper, scissors contest.

People from Lepanto, Bono and Paragould, just to name a few, were there to honor freedom and the birthday of America.

Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe was scheduled to attend, but had to cancel due to weather concerns.

Questions or Comments? E-mail me at rsmith@kait8.com

ASP: 16-year-old shot by police

Tuesday, July 25 2017 11:40 PM EDT2017-07-26 03:40:35 GMT
    Tuesday, July 25 2017 11:47 PM EDT2017-07-26 03:47:10 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

According to the Arkansas State Police, the 16-year-old injured in a shooting outside the Emergency Juvenile Shelter in Marion was shot by police.

City re-dedicates memorial, holds groundbreaking for future memorial

Tuesday, July 25 2017 11:06 PM EDT2017-07-26 03:06:06 GMT
    Tuesday, July 25 2017 11:25 PM EDT2017-07-26 03:25:23 GMT

Many Mississippi County residents spent their Tuesday afternoon celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Eaker Air Force Base closing.

Anderson named Cave City mayor

Friday, June 30 2017 4:48 PM EDT2017-06-30 20:48:54 GMT
    Tuesday, July 25 2017 11:20 PM EDT2017-07-26 03:20:57 GMT
    (Source: KAIT-TV)(Source: KAIT-TV)

Cave City council members appointed one of their own Tuesday night to fill out the term of former Mayor Ron Burge.