AC by Airmail

KENNETT (KAIT) The Kennett, Missouri High School is getting a major upgrade this summer.

One major project is installing new energy efficient air conditioners on the roof of the building.

If you used a crane it could take 1 to 2 days to install the 32 units.

But in Kennett the units are coming by airmail

As the sun rises over the Kennett High School, the guys from Peters Heating and Air from Hannibal, get ready for their mission, a mission to cool.

Brad Hammock, "What they're doing is putting a roof top unit on every classroom."

Only 32 units, roll out the crane.

Hammock, "Well if we had a crane we'd have to move him like 8 times around this place. It would be an all day ordeal."

So no crane, what you gonna do? St. Louis helicopters now arriving.

First order of business, break out the rigging and take the pilots door off.

For Chris the pilot, he's gonna be busy. It takes about ten people to set the units, 4 to hook up, 4 to unhook and two spotters. Gotta keep an eye on all these...and oh yeah, fly the helicopter. So what's the hard part?

Chris "Being steady, just setting the units, being steady, just watching everybody, being in control."

The rigging consists of a unit that hangs from the helicopter some cables and four hooks that hook on to the units.

Of course it's really cool to see these air conditioners flying through the air but you gotta know that this is just one small part of a really big renovation picture for the high school.

A seven million dollar bond big picture.

Chris Wilson, Asst. Superintendent, "That's gonna allow us to do HVAC, lighting, new flooring all upgrades,new windows to our high school."

The dance continues, with Blaine Bourbon coordinating the hook up and Brad Hathaway controlling the placing.

The helicopter is capable of lifting up to 25oo pounds, the air conditioners weighed from about 800 to 1200 pounds for the larger units.

Sometimes it was a little dusty and then there was that unusual sound from caused by a loose piece of plastic.

Brad Hathaway, Director of Maintenance, "We could hear the difference in the sound of the blades and so we just landed to make sure there was no blade damage and in fact it was just plastic."

As the crowds watched  the last unit was hoisted into the air, 32 units, one hour, job well done.